Birth Story

I thought this would be a good way of not only sharing my adventures being a first time mom, but also a way to look back at this time when Quinny gets older. I thought I would start off my blog with Quinny's birth story! An adventurous one for sure...

I thought I had gone into labor on Thursday the 24th. I was having contractions that were about 5 minutes apart and they were what I thought was "painful". I would later learn I had no idea what was coming. We called the doctor and was told to come into the office to get checked out first thing in the morning. I showered, did my hair, put on some makeup and we headed to the doctor. This is always how I had envisioned myself going to have a baby. Fabulous. We learned that I had made no progress in almost 2 weeks and that I was in "early labor". Bummer. So we were sent home and we enjoyed our day off by getting some Chic Fila and relaxing. Anthony and I both ended up falling asleep on the couch. Then came the real contractions. Holy crap did they hurt. And they only got worse. Each one was more painful than the last. This is how we spent the whole night, getting through them. After what seemed like forever we called the doctor. My contractions were 3 minutes apart and lasting about a minute. My poor husband was trying his best to help me through them but I was in hell. It was around this time that I was saying we need to get to the hospital. For those of you who know Anth, he works very long hours at a very physical job. I think the exact words that came out of this mouth when I woke him up were, "You have no idea what my body feels like right now." Yeah, thats right. Ohhh Anthony. How I wanted to kill him. Anyway, we were told to make our way to the hospital. Needless to say this time I left the house in sweatpants and a shirt that I was hoping was big enough to cover my stomach. Not fabulous. I will, for my husband's sake skip the part of the story where he had to rush to the bathroom as soon as we got to the parking lot so I had to wait in the car by myself :) I couldn't even be mad because I knew how much I would laugh about this later. I was convinced that I still had made no progress and I was scared to death of being sent home. Well, as my luck would have it I still hadn't made any progress so I was told to start walking the hallways. Thank goodness the L&D floor was completely empty. So we walked (or attempted to without screaming and flailing to the ground) and I was still stuck at 2 cm. I was going to lose it. Anthony (from what he told me) felt absolutely horrible and helpless as I looked at him crying and told him I couldn't do it any longer. The nurse called my doctor and he showed up about an hour later. Thank the good Lord that when he checked me I was magically a 4 which meant thank you Jesus I can get an epidural. So at that point I called my mom and then started letting everyone know I was actually in labor! Then it was just a waiting game. I still felt my contractions but they weren't extremely painful, so I thought it was normal. I told my nurses who contacted the anesthesiologist who told me to just keep pressing my pain pump. Well after several hours (but only about one hour on Pitocin) my doctor walked in and told me I hadn't made any progress is several hours and that he thought I would need a c-section. I called my friend Colleen immediately because she had just had a baby 3 weeks prior to ask her some questions. She was my go to woman all throughout my pregnancy :) After taking it over with Anth and Colleen and the nurses I decided I wanted to give it a little while longer to see if I would make any more progress. I wanted to do anything to avoid having a c-section. So we would wait! This is where things got a little crazy...
Not 10 minutes after making our decision we were just hanging out with my mom and Anthony's mom. My best friend Tessa and her husband Ryan had just shown up with breakfast for everyone and I was enjoying just getting to spend some time with everyone. Then all of a sudden the alarms on my monitors start going off like crazy and about a dozen people bombard my room. Apparently the baby was in distress and her heartbeat was dropping. Drastically. I hear everyone paging my doctor and nurses are shoving papers in my face telling me to sign. All I could think about was how I wanted to wait and a horrible feeling of guilt/panic came over me. I of course start crying and Anth was right next to me helping me calm down. I am rushed to the OR where Anthony was nowhere to be found. It seemed like forever by the time he was allowed to come in. It was the most scared I have ever been, totally alone and no idea what was going on. Anth was finally allowed to sit next to me and the doctor begins.... Ouch!!! Why ouch you ask? Because I could feel him cutting into me. The doctor then tells me I should feel pressure, blah blah blah, and I said no. It feels like you are cutting me open. Apparently my epidural was done incorrectly and I wasn't as numb as I should have been. It wasn't getting any better so I was given some sort of medicine that made me very loopy. This was the worst part because I don't remember much after that. Thank goodness Anth's dad had given him a camera before we went in. Those pictures are worth gold to me now!
Quinn Taylor was born on June 26, 2010 at 10:57am. She was 7 pounds, 10 ounces and was 20 inches long. Perfect. 10 fingers, 10 toes and a nose that looked like it was taken right from her father.

My little girl was finally here.


Popular Posts