Get out your crock pot // Tortellini Tomato & Basil Soup
I found this recipe on Pinterest, and I thank baby Jesus everyday for it. I pretty much followed the recipe, except I used 2 cans of tomatoes and just "a little less" of everything else. It makes a ton. The first bowl was covered in mozzarella cheese and the second bowl was Parmesan. Both equally delicious!
Here is the link from my Pinterest page with tons more recipes. Seriously my go to when I'm standing in my kitchen trying to figure out dinner.
- 1 3/4 cup diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan, shredded, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Pour mixture into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker along with tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, bay leaves, sugar. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW 6 - 7 hours or HIGH 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves then puree mixture well with an emulsion blender (or carefully in small batches in a blender. If your slow cooker doesn't keep all the moisture in well while cooking, you may need to add in 1/2 cup water or so at this point so the soup isn't too thick). Stir in tortellini, cover and cook on HIGH heat 15 minutes longer (or until heated through). Reduce heat to warm, stir in heavy cream. Serve topped with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Post a Comment